The URBike project was born from the need to develop effective prevention measures to protect our bikes against possible thefts.
The Municipality of Milan has always encouraged sustainable mobility and, consequently, the use of bicycles as a means of transport.
However, the growing number of bicycles available has inevitably also increased the risk of theft. A calculated estimate FIAB (Italian Environment and Bicycle Federation) for the period 2014-2017 has shown that around 50 bikes are stolen every day in Milan. Only 40% of these thefts are regularly reported to the authorities.
The URBike project, born in response to this case study, is conducted by the MISAP Institute with the support of ASSOBICI and Confesercenti Milano in collaboration with MilanoBike.
The partnership between MISAP and our company originates from the social need to find new forms of protection for cycle traffic, thus preventing the biggest obstacle to effective development of urban cycling: bicycle stealing.
By combining the know-how of the two companies, we want to make it possible:
• Secondary prevention, through the risk indicators produced by MISAP with respect to bad practices to be avoided, the periods of the year most dangerous for thefts in a given city and urban areas where to pay attention if you are traveling with your bike;
• Primary prevention, based on a highly innovative e-bike generation that, through the Frameblock anti-theft frame, is able to guarantee the cyclist 360 ° protection of his own vehicle. Also adding insurance coverage for the bicycle thanks to the partnership between MilanoBike and Zurich.
MISAP, thanks to its historical preparation and professionalism in the field of research, will make available to the customer:
• A list of tips on best practices against theft
• Data on seasonality, days and time slots most subject to theft
• The mapping of urban areas with high-level of stealing risk
MISAP will also provide the client with the bronze access key for the MINE CRIME © software, with which it is possible to catalog the criminal phenomena relating to the case series concerned.
MilanoBike, given the corporate mission oriented to the creation of a practical and effective anti-theft system, will make available:
• FrameBlock anti-theft frame
• Zurich insurance
• Operative bicycle rental (fixed monthly fee 100% deductible)
URBike’s goal is to facilitate, support and promote safe and guaranteed use of the bicycle, providing potential customers with innovative, highly technological products and useful information to minimize the risk of suffering the theft of your bike.